Friday, June 14, 2013

Baby Supply Drive


The North Kansas City Kiwanis group and the Hy-Vee at Englewood and North Oak generously offered to help out the Gillis little ones by offering to do a Baby Supply Drive at Hy-Vee. All Gillis had to do was provide a few volunteers and we were the proud recipients of 145 brand new baby items.

Gillis employee Dusty A. Scheiter, volunteered at the event and had this memorable experience with a generous donor:

“My favorite encounter of the day was a father who came into Hyvee with his 9 year old son and his 2 year old son (age approximations!). He listened to me talk about the baby item drive, took a flyer, and said he would help out. Shortly, his older son ran back out to where I was standing and asked if I had a certain size of diapers I wanted to which I replied that any size will help our babies in need. I was pleasantly surprised when this generous soul had two big boxes of pampers diapers that he had his boys hand to me as they were exiting the store. As I thanked him and his boys for this amazing gift, he looked at me and said "I have been there before and someone was kind enough to help me when I needed it."  I got teary eyed. I don't know this family's story but I was able to see a father pay it forward and show his son's what it means to give to others and to repay kindness that was once shown to them. AMAZING!!” 

Gillis would like to give a special thanks to NKC Kiwanis and Hy-Vee for all you have done for the Gillis children.

No comments:

Post a Comment